Thursday, October 1, 2009

How did this happen? (or how I began riding again)


My first cardiac stress test was scheduled for July 8, 2007. I was 50 years old, self employed with a great deal of stress, five kids, four dogs, buildings, houses, no exercise and I smoked.

I decided I wasn't going to have a heat attack during that stress test, so one month before, I began riding an old bicycle ten miles around town every morning. I enjoyed it!

The sights, the sounds, the smells, the temperature changes. I was familiar with the experience, having ridden motorcycles for many years, but this was different. Each one of those sensations validated I was alive. I was much more connected to my surroundings. The sound of my breathing was something I was now "monitoring." The constant demand on my legs was euphoric and I felt like Superman the rest of the day. Every day. I was hooked.

That was three bikes and 4000 miles ago. I have since "upped" my pace, increased my distance, lightened my load and spandex without underwear is a lonely and wasteful experience on a bike...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog